How To Rent An Apartment In Indianapolis
Getting ready to secure your first apartment? Or perhaps it’s been quite some time since you rented one, and now you’re starting the steps again. Here are some suggestions on how to rent an apartment in Indianapolis, from determining how much you can spend to selecting the ideal apartment and completing the application.
How Much Can You Afford?
What you should do first is determine what you can pay. You don’t want to become enamored with a floor plan only to realize it’s not feasible from a financial standpoint. Examine your income prior to taking a tour of that incredible two-bedroom with a view of the lake. Here are some recommendations to help you do so.
- Look at your net income - the total you have after taxes - and take away your present expenses (loan payments, credit cards, etc.).
- Plan for unforeseen expenses like flat tires and urgent healthcare. As a general rule, add 10 percent to your bill total.
- Approximate costs at your new apartment, such as utilities and groceries. If you need a starting point, designate $250 per month for each one.
- How often do you dine out? Project your entertainment and dining expenses per month.
- What is remaining? This total is what you may put toward rent. Now is the time to figure out if you’ll need a roommate.
Selecting Your Apartment In Indianapolis
Investigating different properties and floor plans can be exciting but also time-consuming. Be sure you allow yourself adequate time to look - at least a month or two. Your opening step is to decide on the general area. How close do you wish to be to your office or school? Are you trying to find something in the city or in the suburbs? Is there shopping and entertainment nearby? Choosing a specific location will save you a lot of time.
You probably already know the number of bedrooms you’ll want, so you can direct your attention on finding the most appealing floor plan. Then, you need to think about what amenities are must-haves. Is a health club or pool essential? Do you require a community that welcomes animals? Making these decisions will streamline your search.
Completing The Application Process
Once you’ve picked out an apartment, you need to finish the application process. You’ll need to be ready with proper identification, proof of income, and some references. You’ll usually pay an application fee to cover credit and background checks. If you need a co-signer, let the leasing agent know early in the process, as they may not be accepted.
Your application process will usually include the following:
- Pay an application fee
- Complete an application form
- Anticipate background and credit checks
- Sign the lease
When submitting the application, you can expect to provide the following information:
- Name, email, phone number, and present address
- Occupation and salary
- Past address(es)
- Animals (if applicable)
- Contacts in case of emergency
- References - you might be asked to provide past landlords or professional and personal references
Come Home To The Ideal Apartment At Block 20
Renting an apartment in Indianapolis is simple at Block 20. We offer a wide assortment of amenities and floor plans to fit your lifestyle. Schedule a tour to explore what we have to offer or dial 463-777-2762 to talk with one of our helpful leasing agents about how to rent one of our apartments in Indianapolis.